A Travellerspoint blog

Return to the Old Country

Long Cold Nights

sunny 7 °C

Alana and I clambered into a taxi and raced towards Strathfield station. We had missed the train....again. As we raced into Strathfied we managed to get to the train one minute before it pulled out. We didn't get a seat until Penrith. The train ride was long, but we learned a long time ago how to keep ourselves amused for the trip. Crosswords, singing, dancing, making funny faces whilst eating and laughing kept us going all the way to Lithgow.

After a 3 and a half hour trip, we got off the train at Lithgow and hit the minus 2 degree temperature with a scream. It was so cold that my nose went numb. We got in Alana's dad's car and then talked and shivered for the 45 minute trip back to Bathurst. We stopped at McDonalds for a coffee (only to warm us up, I usually avoid the place at all costs), and then we endured another 20 minute drive to my parents farm, at Mount Rankin, just outside of town.

After arriving, my parents, in the true family spirit, popped a bottle of red wine and we (my parents, Alana, and I) sat around drinking until about midnight, when there was a knock at the door. It was Kieran, my best friend since I was about 15. He had only just returned from Ireland a few weeks before, where he had been living for a year. It was really good to see him, but a little surreal. By 4 in the morning, Alana and I were roaring drunk, and Kieran had to head off as he had work in the morning.

The next day, I just lounged around at my parents house, looking through my old books, and walking through the paddocks remembering my country life.

It was really great to see the property so green, after all the years of drought, and as the sun went down that evening, I sat and watched the stars light up the sky. It was amazing! I couldn't believe I had forgotten the amount of stars you can see from the country, and the sky always seems so much bigger out there.

Alana and Samantha, a friend of mine since before I started primary school, arrived at my house and we made our way down into the paddock and lit a bonfire next to an old couch that we had dragged there. We sat around this fire, drinking wine, dancing, singing, talking, watching shooting stars and all those things that three best friends do, until about 4 30 in the morning.

We went up to the house and all fell asleep in a big king sized bed and woke up the next day feeling on top of the world. It was a little strange, until we realised that last night's drunkeness had rolled over onto this morning and we were still very drunk.

After sobering up, I went into town to see Kieran's family for a while, before going to see my Grandparents. It was great to see them, and to catch up.

I then headed up to Alana's house, and we waited there for her friend Krystina to drive us back to Sydney. I realised in the car, that I still had issues from a car accident that I was in a few years ago, because I kept freaking out during the drive. I fell asleep at Lithgow though and I slept through the whole blue mountains.

We arrived home at about 8 30 and went inside and straight to bed, Alana and I had drunk about 10 bottles of wine each over the weekend and we were really exhausted. Monday morning, I woke up to a groaning sound in the hallway, it was Alana and she had developed three days worth of hangover at once. After I woke up fully, I realised that I was hungover too, and so the week begins, feeling out of it, as per normal.

Posted by Tommyboy 08:33 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint